Saturday, August 28, 2010

August Update

Alright, I apologize for the lack of other updates this week. A combination of internet outages, scheduling adjustments and plain simple ‘flojera’ prevented me from posting more frequently, but my hope is that in the coming week I can be more consistent.

One of the factors limiting my time to write is the sudden addition of an hour long commute to most of my days. Driving back and forth an hour to work has definitely impacted my ability to focus on writing, and it has started to wear on other aspects of my life as well. Still, the move was definitely worth it. My dear, patient wife has been enjoying her job a lot more now that she no longer has to deal with said commute, and I have a feeling that this year will be a great one for her.

As far as my own progress, I find myself somewhat lacking. As you might have guessed from a lack of ecstatic updates, I am not going to be attending med school this year. In some ways, that fact disappoints me. In others, it leaves me grateful, since my experiences with my current work and situation have made me doubt that med school would have been the best course for me. The schedule, emotional demands and other aspects of the medical career just don’t seem to be what I would have looked forward to each day.

However, at the same time, my life now lacks a solid direction to head towards. I’m financially secure and employed, which probably puts me ahead of the game compared to a lot of what people are already calling the ‘lost generation’ but I doubt I would be satisfied simply settling for what I have already. Writing has been harder, and I almost feel that as others of my friends have gotten offers from agents and publishers for their stories that I am falling behind there. Grad schools look inviting, but I am plagued by doubts that I am drifting in that direction for the same reason I did med school—simply because it sounds like a good idea and not because I really want that kind of career. It is incredibly frustrating, so tomorrow I may need to sit down with the spouse and actually make some solid goals for me to shoot towards in the long term. Grg.

In any case, that’s kind of my situation as of the end of August. This time I promise not to fade away for a full week before posting again. I hope all of you are doing well, and that your lives are happy. Be safe out there, and I’ll see you around.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. I think that when you were mopey like this back in the day, I would shoot nerf darts at you. Here is the best I can do for the moment.

    \\\/////
    | oo | /----------///
    | __ | \----------\\\
    \___/
    YOU

    It looks like I've upgraded from nerf darts to small missiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, you know someone who's gotten an offer from an agent/publisher?? Who?? And what's their story?

    Writing wise - we're all bad at the beginning. But you've improved greatly since the Jakeson story. You really have. So I say to keep trying if it's something you'd really like to do.

    Also, glad you're posting again :)

    ReplyDelete