Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On Minor Setbacks

So as some of you guys might know, me and my little family just took a short vacation to go to a family reunion in Utah. I had taken my laptop along with the intent of writing the crap out of Iron Angels during the time off of work.THe first three days went wonderfully. I managed about 4k a day, and the end was rapidly looking to be closer than I had originally suspected. By the time I went to bed late Wednesday night, I had been convinced to readjust my writing plans to account for a finished first draft either last Friday or by the end of this week, which would allow me to begin work on Badger, the sequel to Wolfhound, before the end of the month. Things were definitely looking perfect.

Then I woke up on Thursday and sat down to start again. Fifteen minutes later, I realize that my computer still hasn't booted up and I feel the nagging sense of horror that all writers someday feel when they've made the mistake of not backing up files as often as they should. Long story short, I stand to loose about 45k of work if they can't do an effective data transfer today, which makes up a rather sizable amount of my progress over the last two months. Kinda depressing when you think about it.

Then again, perhaps this is just an opportunity to shift gears and change tactics. The first draft was going to need a thorough rewrite anyway, so why not get it done this way? Right? Right?

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I think I'm going to e-mail myself my files again now...good luck getting the file back.

    ReplyDelete