Friday, April 15, 2011

On Blessings

You know, I have an awful lot to be grateful for.

It may not appear that way if you are familiar with my dour attitude and the whining posts on the blog here. I tend to get a bit mopey (yes just a bit, don't get snarky with me), and it is easy for me to be pessimistic instead of focusing on the good in life. Its a facet of my personality that I have tried to work on, with limited success. Failures, obstacles and other problems just seem to grab ahold of my attention and keep me zeroed in on the bad.

The past year or two have been good examples of how that outlook has affected me. I had to turn away from two different careers, was unemployed for a long while, faced all sorts of personal issues and now have to deal with the horrendous commute to a job that can many times seem very difficult. Those kinds of trials stick with me, and its a load on my back when I think too much about all that has not turned out as planned.

At the same time I have had a lot go well for me. We have built up a little nest egg in spite of our less-than-awesome cash flow. We've got an apartment in a wonderful area, with an incredible ward to help us. Our family still loves us and wants to visit us and have us visit them. My little baby Sera was born, and both she and my wife came through labor healthy and happy. I may have finally found the career I want to follow, and even though it may be hard I am willing to go the distance this time, which bodes well. All in all, my life could be much worse, and I have had many times to wonder at how the Lord has watched over me.

Perhaps next time I sit down to gripe about my lack of opportunities or my challenges, I would do well to remember that.

Well, I hope this post finds you all doing well, and I hope you are all enjoying your own blessings. Take care, and I hope to see you later!

1 comment: